What are the biggest lottery winners in the world ever? All information about the jackpot and the winners you will found on this website.
What is the best lottery to play in 2020?
Powerball Lottery : The draw is every wednesday and saturday. You could buy online a ticket for this draw!
Mega Millions lottery: The draw is every friday and tuesday. You could buy online a ticket for this draw!
Jackpot lotteries in the world
In this table you will see the 5 highest jackpot prices in the world!
[table id=1 /]
The biggest lottery winners are:
- California: January 13, 2016 $1,586,400,000.00
- Florida: January 13, 2016 $1,586,400,000.00
- Lisa and John Robinson
Tennessee: January 13, 2016 $1,586,400,000.00
Biggest lottery winners Europe
In this table you see the largest loterry jackpots in Europe
[table id=2 /]
Big lottery winners in 2019
- September 2019: San Diego 27-68-17-19-40 and the Mega number 2 matched all six numbers chosen and won the jackpot prize of $522 million!
- March 27, 2019 Powerball draw. Won by Manuel Franco from Wisconsin $768.4 million
Lottery winners 2018
- August 21 2018: 107.839.228 euro in Belgium
- July 2018: 90 million Eurojackpot, two German winners
- May 4 2018:$142 million Mega Millions in Ohio
- March 30, 2018 – $533 million won in New Jersey; ticket sold in Riverdale, N.J.
- February, 2018: EuroMillions 177 million
- February, 2018: 90 million Eurojackpot
- The January 6, 2018, Powerball $559,700,000.00 annuity
- The January 5, 2018, Mega Millions winning numbers were 28 – 30 – 39 – 59 – 70 and the Mega Ball was 10. $451 million
Jackpot winners 2017
- Oktober 26 2017: New York, Mega Millions drawing for a jackpot of $105,000,000.
- August 24 2017: A Massachusetts hospital worker has won the largest single-ticket prize in US lottery history, a $758.7m Powerball
- August 11 2017: Mega Millions of 393 million. The winning numbers were 23, 33, 53, 56, 58 and the Mega Ball was 6. It is the first winning Mega Millions jackpot since April 28. That lucky individual bought a Quick Pick ticket worth $393-million at Nick’s Barbecue in Palos Heights.
- June 11 2017: Powerball winner of $ 477 million lives in Californië. The number 10 biggest jackpot in history
- June 2 2017: Euromillions 153.873.716 won in Belgium
- April 11 2017: Euromillions jackpot won in France 83 Million Euro.
- February 22 2017: The $435.3 million estimated jackpot is the 7th largest in Powerball history. The winning numbers 10-13-28-52-61 and PB: 2
- January 30 2017: Mega Millions 188 million. The ticket sold at the Primm Valley Lotto Store in San Bernardino County community of Nipton.
- January 24 january: 188 million of Ireland at EuroMillions Lotto. Winning numbers: 1,5, 7, 17 and 23 en lucky stars 3 and 8
- January 5 2017: Eurojackpot 90 million. The winners live in Holland, Germany and Denmark.
Biggest prices in 2016
- December 2016: big win in €2.3bn El Gordo lottery
- November 26 2016: A group of 20 longtime co-workers of the company North American Stamping they won, and will split, a $420.9 Powerball jackpot from the drawing held Nov. 26, 2016. The “Tennessee 20.
- October 11, 2016: Belgium player won 168.085.323 euro at Euromillions lottery. A record for Belgium Lotto. Numbers are 05 – 12 – 20 – 24 – 37 and stars 04 & 11
- July 30 2016: Powerball jackpot 487.000.000. Tickets was sold in New Hampshire.
- Friday July 29 2016: Eurojackpot winner in Germany (Hessen). Price was 84 million dollar, winning numbers 04, 08, 22, 36, 44, 5 and 10.
- Friday July 8 2016: Mega Millions jackpot 540 million Dollar won in Indiana. The thirth biggest Mega Millions jackpot.
- The powerball draw about 1,5 billion dollar. The winning draw is 13 january 2016 of a player in California, Florida. Highest USA lottery price ever!
- March 2016: 76 million euro won at the Eurojackpot. The winner lives in Germany.
- March 18 2016: 73 million won at the Euro Millions. The winner live in Portugal. (no superdraw)
- May 2016: $ 40 million Australia OZ Lotto (Leongatha)
Biggest jackpot in 2015
- Feburary 2015: Powerball lottery jackpot is won by 3 person totally 654 million dollar.
- October 2015: La Primitiva jackpos is won by 1 person totally 101,7 million euro (RECORD SPANISH LOTTERY)
- October 2015: Canada lottery 640 Lotto with a record of 64 million dollar.
- December: El Gordo La Navidad with a jackpot of 2,3 billion euro in Spanish lottery
Biggest Jackpot in 2014
- November 2014: $326 million was the jacpot on november the fifth in the Mega Millions.
- October 2014: Euromillions lottery: In 2014 the largest jackpot for Europe was in the United Kingdom. A man won 190 million euro in the Euromillions jackpot in october 2014.
- March 2014: $414 million won in the Mega Millions on March 18. Two tickets purchased tickets in Maryland and Florida.
- February 2014: The california Lottery officials said a Northern California man claimed the prize of the Powerball Lottery with the price of $425 million.
Lottery records all over the world
Lottery jackpot records have always attracted the attention of the people. It is generally considered that Spain’s Sorteo Extraordinario de Navidad is the world’s largest lottery and has the largest first prize jackpot. In 2012, the main jackpot was €720 million. The total prize pool in 2012 was €2.52 billion. The tickets for this lottery have pre-printed 5-digit numbers, with each set of numbers sold multiple times in several so-called series. For example, a ticket with the number “00001” was printed 180 times under different series numbers. This results in the jackpot always being split across multiple winners. The 2011 main jackpot of €720 million was paid out as €4 million to each of the 180 tickets with the number 58268.
Unlike in the United States, European jackpots are generally tax-free and jackpots are paid in a lump sum. For example, in theUnited Kingdom’s National Lottery, wagers are split between the game operator Camelot Group and the government, with Camelot distributing some of the money for prizes, some for operating costs, a small amount for profit, some into their ‘good causes’ programme, with the remainder going to the government as tax; VAT however, is not due.
Largest jackpots in specific European lotteries
- £161.7 million was the largest jackpot and single-ticket jackpot in the pan-European EuroMillionsin GBP currency, won on 12 July 2011 in the UK.
- €190 million was the largest jackpot and single-ticket jackpot in the pan-European EuroMillions in EUR currency, won on 10 August 2012 in the UK.
- On 24 October 2014 it happened again: €190 million was won by a single-ticket in Portugal.
- €90.0 million was the largest jackpot and single-ticket jackpot in the pan-European Eurojackpot, won on 15 May 2015 in Czech Republic.
- €147.8 million was the largest single-ticket jackpot in Italy’s SuperEnalotto lottery, won on 22 August 2009 in Bagnone. €45.4 million was the largest jackpot in Germany’s Lotto 6 aus 49, won in December 2007 by three tickets.
- €37.7 million was the largest single-ticket jackpot in the German Lotto 6 aus 49, won on 7 October 2006.
- SEK 238 million is the largest single ticket jackpot of Svenska Spel Lotto Drömvinsten.
- £42 million was the largest jackpot in the United Kingdom’s Lotto, won on 6 January 1996 by three tickets.
In the United States, all lottery winnings and casino games winners are subject to Federal taxation (automatically reported to the Internal Revenue Service if the win is at least $600); many smaller jurisdictions also levy taxes. The IRS requires a minimum withholding of 25% of the prize (minus the wager) of any gambling win in excess of $5,000. However, the net for a major jackpot winner often is misleading; winners often pay additional to the IRS when they file their returns. U.S. lotto winners are taxed at the highest percentage; any winnings above $600.00 are taxed at 30%. All lump-sum prizes listed below are reported as the pre-withholdings amount, as this is income the player “earned” and must report on their returns to be subject to taxation. Jackpot amounts are reported as the advertised annuity.
For various reasons, an annuity jackpot can have a higher cash value than a larger annuity with a lower cash value. Examples include the annuity structure of various games: while Mega Millions’ and Powerball’s annuity option each are 30 annual payments, Mega Millions’ annuity payments increase 5 percent yearly, while Powerball’s increase 4 percent yearly; this makes the Mega Millions’ annuity structure slightly more inflated.
Lucky Lotto player from South Carolina wins more than a billion dollars
Great news: South Carolina now has one more rich citizen. A Powerball Jackpot win took place a couple of weeks ago, and it has absolutely made headlines. Believe it or not, but a very lucky person won more than 1.5 billion dollars!
What are the odds?
Winning more than a billion dollars, what are the odds? Well, 1:302.6 million, to be precisely. And a lot of anticipation, no winning tickets were sold for weeks, a citizen from South Carolina made the impossible possible. When a winning ticket isn’t sold, Mega Millions resets to a baseline of 40 million dollars. Participants can win this huge amount of money during the Friday draw. However, they also have another opportunity to win a big Jackpot: the Powerball prize. At the moment the Powerball Jackpot for the Wednesday draw is an astonishing 620 million dollars!
Who is the winner?
The numbers on the 1.5 billion dollar ticket all match with the numbers shown during the draw. Hopefully someone can enjoy it soon, since the winner hasn’t claimed the prize yet. The winner can decide to stay anonymous, so we might never know who the lucky person is.
Not the biggest Jackpot in history
Interestingly enough, the Mega Millions Jackpot isn’t the biggest one in history. It does end up at the second place though. The largest prize in the history of the lottery fell on January 13, 2016. So the number 13 doesn’t always mean bad luck! Back then three winning Powerball tickets were sold, with a total worth of 1,586 billion dollars!
And they lived happily ever after
The lucky winners in 2016 are probably enjoying their money right now. Perhaps in a big house or appartement, or on a luxurious yacht. Who knows? The new millionaires are all couples, namely Maureen Smith and David Kaltschmidt from Florida, Marvin and Mae Acosta from California and John and Lisa Robinson from Tennessee. They split the prize and lived happily ever after.
A rare gift
The Acostas want to stay anonymous, but they do call the big win a ‘rare gift’. The Robinsons, who bought their ticket at a grocery store, took the lump sump. Main reason is the fact that no one knows what the future will bring. Smith and Kalschmidt did the same and also told NBC what they like to do with the money. One of their plans is to upgrade their truck and, not very surprisingly, retire!
Lump-sump or annuity
The lucky couples mentioned above had to choose between a lump-sump payment of 427.8 million or the annuity option of 533 million dollars before taxes. Annuity means that they receive a payment for the next 30 years. A smaller amount of money all at once is possible as well, which is known as lump-sump. The lump-sump on the 1.5 billion dollar prize was 877.8 million dollars. With state and federal taxes this is 491.7 million dollars in total, not bad at all! The income tax in South Carolina is 7 percent and the federal rate is 37 percent. The amount of money is still incredible.
The biggest Powerball wins
It’s interesting to take a look at the biggest Powerball lottery wins. It might inspire you to become a participant in this lottery as well. Number three in the list is a 758.7 million dollar win in the Powerball lottery. A woman called Mavis L. Wanczyck was lucky enough to win this huge amount of money in August 2017. The new millionaire from Chicopee, Massachusetts, took home 480.5 million dollars when he went for a lump sump payment, without taxes. Before her life changed forever, she worked at the Mercy Medical Center. She quitted her work after 32 years of service. She simply called her employer and said she wouldn’t return. Who would blame her!
The three rich amigo’s
A couple of years ago, in 2012, a couple from Illinois was lucky enough to buy a winning Lottery ticket worth 656 million dollars in total! Merle and Patricia Butler couldn’t believe their eyes. After taxes they took home 218.6 million dollars. At the same time there were some other lottery winners as well. They are anonymous. A couple of winners are from Maryland, and they want to keep their privacy. The only thing known is that they worked at a school and that the prize will be shared under the code name ‘The Three Amigos’.
Lucky number seven
Last, but not least, there are Steve Tran of California and Ira Curry of Georgia. These lucky people won the Mega Millions Lottery in December 2013. The prize was split, but we guess there’s still enough money left! Curry told the press that the bought her ticket last-minute. The numbers on the winning ticket were a combination of the ‘lucky number seven’ and family birthdays.
No more work
Curry and Tran both choose the lump sump option of 173 million dollars. More than enough money for Tran to quit his job. He told NBC Bay Area that he called his boss and said that he probably would never return to his work, ever. The fun thing about such a big prize is that the shop who sells the winning ticket also benefits from it. Not just a little, since Jennifer’s Gift Shop, that sold the tickets to Tran, received 1 million dollars as a reward!